Houston is a vast city that involves many people. It means that there are inevitably frequent accidents occurring in the town. As per the reports, there have been over 2,101 motorcycle accidents in the city in the last couple of years. Someone may need to file a lawsuit when these accidents result in personal injury. Law firms have fought and won personal injury lawsuits for their clients.
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Houston and are considering filing a lawsuit, here are some things you should know:
1) Limited Time to File a Lawsuit
Houston is home to many personal injury lawsuits, and you typically have limited time to file. Also known as the statute of limitations. In most cases, you only have a few years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you can’t meet the filing deadline, you won’t be able to document your investments.
It is, therefore, essential to speak with an attorney as soon as possible after an accident. Your lawyer is ready to act on your situation and transfer your request at any court level to ensure that your suit hasn’t missed the deadline.
2) Types of Personal Injury Lawsuits
There are three types of personal injury lawsuits: negligence, intentional tort, and product liability.
● Negligence: Accident due to negligence is the most common type of personal injury lawsuit. It occurs when someone else carelessly causes an accident that results in your injuries. For example, drivers may be considered negligent if they run a red light and hit their car.
● Intentional tort: This occurs when someone intentionally causes an accident that results in your injuries. For example, if someone hits you on purpose, they may be considered to have committed an intentional tort.
● Product liability: This lawsuit occurs when a defective product causes injuries. For example, if a lousy car part injures you, you may have a product liability case.
Which type of lawsuit you have will depend on the facts of your case. An experienced lawyer will help you determine which type of lawsuit is right for you.
3) You Will Need an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer
An experienced personal injury lawyer will know the legal system’s ins and outs and can help you get the best possible outcome for your case. These professionals will also advise you on whether or not you should file a lawsuit. You will also need their help to gather the evidence you need to support your claim.
4) The Defendant May Try to Settle Out of Court
An attorney will be able to negotiate on your behalf to try to get you a better settlement. This means they may offer you a settlement agreement to avoid trial. It is advised to communicate with an attorney before accepting any settlement offer, and You may not have such a large amount to cover your damages adequately.
5) You Could Receive Compensation for Your Injuries
If you’re injured in an accident, you may be able to receive compensation for your injuries. This compensation can cover your medical costs, hide income, and pain and sorrow.
In short, if you’ve been injured in an accident in Houston and are considering filing a lawsuit, be sure to speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. These attorneys have already fought and won personal injury settlements in the past. They can help you determine whether or not you qualify for a lawsuit and provide advice on what to do. You may be able to receive compensation for your injuries, which can help you cover your damages.